By CAREY FOX Times Sports Editor PUTNAMVILLE — The final point standings became a bit clearer on Saturday night at Lincoln Park Speedway and Chase Stockon was crowned the “King of non-Wing” in sprint car action at the Putnamville oval.
Doug McCullough secured the UMP Super Stock title with a third-place run and Cloverdale’s Carlos Bumgardner Sr. captured feature win number 10 of the year and secured the bomber points title as well. Tim Wright won the second bomber feature and with it, the runner-up spot in the standings. Tyler Cain added another chapter to a dominating season in the super stock class as he picked up his 19th win of the season and the final touches on a UMP National Championship.
AJ Hopkins, Max McGhee and Chad Boespflug were heat race winners in sprint car action, which set up a fron t row that included Jeff Bland Jr. and Boespflug with McGhee and Hopkins in the second row.
Hopkins got a huge jump early on in the 30-lap A-main and took over the point and began to build a comfortable margin with Bland, Hunter Schuerenberg, Boespflug and Stockon in tow.
By lap 10, Hopkins had found his way into lapped traffic, but was able to navigate successfully despite some harrowing passes of back markers. Hopkins split a pair of cars heading into turn four to maintain some space in front of Bland with 15 laps in the books before a caution for the slowed car of Hud Cone.
Once the field restarted on lap 19, Stockon moved to second and began to challenge Hopkins for the top spot. On lap 25, Stockon finally made his successful move, taking the lead off of turn four.
With the lead, Stockon wouldn’t look back, pulling away down the stretch as Hopkins held off a furious challenge over the last few circuits from Bland and Schuerenberg with Boespflug taking the fifth spot.
Stockon’s win came aboard the Gentry Brothers Racing No. 2x sponsored by Automotive Color and Supply, Afco, Tri-State Powder Coating, Indy Race Parts machine.
In the UMP Modified feature, Randy Shuman won his heat race, which started him on the outside of the front row. With that strong of a starting position it wasn’t surprising that Shuman capitalized and held off the rest of the field by a comfortable margin, leading wire-to-wire. Bloomington’s Brad Barrow stayed in second-place over the course of the 20-lap A-main and Jeff Deckard came forward from ninth to place third.
Roy Bruce Jr. and Troy Clark wrapped up the top-five and Terre Haute’s Kenny Carmichael Sr. added to his points total to finish up the season points title.
Cain, a Seymour native, led from the outset of the super stock A-main to win his fifth straight feature as Martinsville’s Steve Peeden placed second. McCullough wrapped up his title with his third-place finish as Jamey Wilson moved up from a seventh-place start to take fourth ahead of Greencastle’s Josh Boller.
In the first of two bomber features, Bumgardner worked his way to the front past A.J. Smith and James Walters and had smooth sailing while riding the top side line in front of the 15-car field. Smith came forward to place second after a seventh-place start and Walters solidified a third-place run ahead of Lenny Krupa III and Kyle Krupa.
In the final race of the night, Jordan Almanza and Wright duked it out after an early spin by pole sitter Michael Harris.
Almanza and Wright were door-to-door for several laps, battling for the top spot, but Almanza got sideways in turn four and spun to end his night prematurely. Kevin Kemp ran second before fading a bit towards the end to finish sixth, but C.J. Bryan, who started 10th, advanced all the way to second where he would finish the race. Greencastle’s Mark Dickerson won his heat and then finished third ahead of Landon Miller and Cody Wright.
Lincoln Park Speedway
Sprint car feature
1. Chase Stockon, 2. AJ Hopkins, 3. Jeff Bland Jr., 4. Hunter Schuerenberg, 5 Chad Boespflug, 6. Brady Short, 7. Brandon Mattox, 8. Chris Gurley, 9. Kody Kinser, 10. CJ Leary, 11. Casey Shuman, 12. Max McGhee, 13. Brian Hayden, 14. Kent Christian, 15. Chris Babcock, 16. Kris Deckard, 17. Andrew Prather, 18. Eric Burns, 19. Lee Underwood, 20. Michael Terry Jr., 21. Hud Cone
UMP Modified feature
1. Randy Shuman, 2. Brad Barrow, 3. Jeff Deckard, 4. Roy Bruce Jr., 5. Troy Clark, 6. Kenny Carmichael Sr., 7. Gary Ricketts, 8. Wes McClara, 9. Gary Hayden, 10. Bryson Clark, 11. Kenny Carmichael Jr., 12. Damon Harrell, 13. Doug Arnold, 14. Wayne Newlin, 15. Brent Hudson, 16. Matthew Smith, 17. Casey Davis, 18. Tony Houk, 19. Josh McDaniel, 20. Dan Lewellen, 21. Doug Bryant Jr.
UMP Super Stock feature
1. Tyler Cain, 2. Steve Peeden, 3. Doug McCullough, 4. Jamey Wilson, 5. Josh Boller, 6. Jake Leitzman, 7. JR Watkins, 8. James Pfeiffer Sr., 9. Michael Williams, 10. David Daniels, 11. David Bumgardner, 12. Josh McDaniel, 13. Kenny Carmichael Sr., 14. Marty Cooper, 15. Kris Starks, 16. Chris Campbell, 17. Paul Wright, 18. Wesley Freeland, 19. Matt Jordan, 20. Travis Heramb
Bomber feature 1
1. Carlos Bumgardner Sr., 2. A.J. Smith, 3. James Walters, 4. Lenny Krupa III, 5. Kyle Krupa, 6. Chucky Walden, 7. Megan Cavaness, 8. RJ Pruitt, 9. Donald Smiley, 10. Ron Smith, 11. Justin Massie, 12. Jack Campbell, 13. Bryan Hunt, 14. Bobby Tarrh, 15. Scott Tidwell
Bomber feature 2
1. Tim Wright, 2. C.J. Bryan, 3. Mark Dickerson, 4. Landon Miller, 5. Cody Wright, 6. Kevin Kemp, 7. Tony Tidwell, 8. Bob Farris, 9. Michael Clark, 10. Michael Harris, 11. Jerry Hutto, 12. Justin Clodfelter, 13. Jordan Almanza, 14. David Wallen, 15. Mike Wright Jr