By CAREY FOXTimes Sports Editor
PUTNAMVILLE – Saturday night provided the clincher for the season long points battles in all four classes at Lincoln Park Speedway and there was a fair measure of drama as drivers made their final case for a championship.
The closest battle overall came down to a three-way scrum for the UMP Modified title at LPS as Dan Lewellen, Kenny Carmichael Sr. and Jay Humphrey were all in the mix. However, after coming into the night third in points, Humphrey claimed a third-place feature finish that propelled him to a one-point margin and the championship over Carmichael, who placed seventh in the A-main, one spot behind Lewellen.
Devin Gilpin got past Humphrey after an early restart and powered away from the field to win his 34th feature of the season as he chases the UMP National Championship. He’s currently sitting second behind Illinois driver Mike Harrison. Tim Prince placed second in the feature ahead of Humphrey, Cullen Goodman and Roger Mills.
Lewellen was sixth ahead of Carmichael Sr., Roy Bruce, Carmichael Jr. and Gary Hayden.
In the sprint car division, Chad Boespflug hopped into the Krockenberger-owned No. 21k as his regular car was on the sideline for the weekend. Chasing Scott Hampton in the points race, Boespflug nearly made the move count when he was able to score a fourth-place finish in the feature as points leader Scott Hampton worked his way forward after starting 14th to ninth. The final result was that Hampton held on to the title by a scant one point.
In feature action, Greenfield, Ind. native CJ Leary was in a rocket ship all night as his family owned No. 30 started outside of the front row and he didn’t look back in recording his second win of the season at LPS.
Brent Beauchamp advanced from sixth to place second ahead of Max McGhee, Boespflug and Shane Cockrum.
The final two points battles were slightly more academic as Greencastle’s Josh Boller secured the UMP Super Stock championship to cap an excellent season. His runner-up finish in the A-main behind UMP National Points leader Tyler Cain on Saturday clinched the title over Greencastle’s Doug McCullough.
Jonathon Newgent placed third in the feature, one spot ahead of James Pfeiffer Sr. and Kenny Carmichael Jr.
The final points battle came down to a challenge between Coatesville’s Josh Settles and North Salem’s Ryan Freeland. Neither driver had much luck in the last race of the season with Settles finishing 18th and Freeland in 17th. Settles would claim the points championship by 26 points over Freeland with Jordan Almanza back in third-place.
Tyler Neal picked up the first bomber feature win of the night in an entertaining battle with RJ Pruitt as Almanza came home third followed by Carlos Bumgardner Sr. and Scott Crouch. Chucky Walden held off a furious challenge from Barry Hicks in the second bomber feature with 40 competitors on hand Saturday evening. After winning last week’s race, Josh Litton was third ahead of Raymond Funkhouser Jr. and Larry Hutto.
This weekend will be Champions Night as drivers will be honored for the season as sprint cars, modifieds, super stocks and bombers will be in competiton.
Lincoln Park Speedway
Sprint car feature
1. CJ Leary, 2. Brent Beauchamp, 3. Max McGhee, 4. Chad Boespflug, 5. Shane Cockrum, 6. Jordan Kinser, 7. Kyle Robbins, 8. Bub Cummings, 9. Scott Hampton, 10. Brandon Mattox, 11. Brandon Morin, 12. Lee Underwood, 13. Jeff Bland Jr., 14. Jadon Rogers, 15. Austin Prock, 16. Braxton Cummings, 17. Mike Gass, 18. JJ Hughes, 19. AJ Hopkins, 20. Troy Link
UMP Modified feature
1. Devin Gilpin, 2. Tim Prince, 3. Jay Humphrey Jr., 4. Cullen Goodman, 5. Roger Mills, 6. Dan Lewellen, 7. Kenny Carmichael Sr., 8. Roy Bruce Jr., 9. Kenny Carmichael Jr., 10. Gary Hayden, 11. Brent Hudson, 12. Rory Riley, 13. David Baldwin, 14. JR Watkins, 15. Scott Ricketts, 16. Doug Bryant Jr., 17. Jarod Fleetwood, 18. Josh McDaniel, 19. Michael Beatty, 20. Gary Ricketts
UMP Super Stock feature
1. Tyler Cain, 2. Josh Boller, 3. Jonathon Newgent, 4. James Pfeiffer Sr., 5. Kenny Carmichael Jr., 6. C.J. Bryan, 7. Matt Jordan, 8. Kenny Carmichael Sr., 9. Jacob Leitzman, 10. Steve Ware, 11. Ken Kelley, 12. James Campbell, 13. Doug McCullough, 14. Scotty Massie, 15. Larry Raines, 16. Kris Starks, 17. Paul Wright, 18. Billy Pullen, 19. Larry Babbs, 20. Josh McDaniel, 21. Scott Agnew, 22. Kenny Fields, 23. Chris Campbell
Bomber feature 1
1. Tyler Neal, 2. RJ Pruitt, 3. Jordan Almanza, 4. Carlos Bumgardner Sr., 5. Scott Crouch, 6. Cody Wright, 7. Lenny Krupa III, 8. Jesse Kindred, 9. Mark Dickerson, 10. Travis Heramb, 11. Glenn Ogden, 12. Cameron Harris, 13. Megan Cavaness, 14. Ron Smith, 15. Kyle Prince, 16. James Stuckey, 17. Ryan Freeland, 18. Josh Settles, 19. Zane Fields, 20. Jeff Thinnes
Bomber feature 1
1. Chucky Walden, 2. Barry Hicks, 3. Josh Litton, 4. Raymond Funkhouser Jr., 5. Larry Hutto, 6. Donald Smiley, 7. Adam Farr, 8. Paul Alleyn, 9. Matthew Burns, 10. Jerry Hutto, 11. Kelly West Jr., 12. Bob Farris, 13. DJ Smiley, 14. Jarod Litton, 16. Bobby Tarrh Jr., 17. Keivan Clodfelter, 18. Mike Wright Jr., 19. David Wallen, 20. Logan Brickert