By CAREY FOXTimes Sports Editor
PUTNAMVILLE – Lincoln Park Speedway raised the curtain on the 2016 racing season Saturday night with an outstanding field of 105 cars over four classes. Shane Cottle piloted the Paul Hazen No. 57 sprinter to victory lane to capture the “Bill Gardner Memorial” 30-lap feature for sprint cars. Randy Shuman was the UMP modified victor with Josh Boller claiming the UMP Super Stock A-main. A.J. Smith picked up the bomber feature as Zane Fields recorded his first career feature win in the second bomber feature to wrap up the evening.
Cottle parlayed a win in the first sprint car heat race into a pole spot for the feature and was able to hold that spot despite a mid-race battle with Kevin Thomas Jr.
Jeff Bland, Kevin Studley and Jordan Kinser started with Cottle in the top two rows to begin the A-main and it was Bland that challenged for the lead early. However, a near spin on lap 11 cost Bland his runner-up spot. Cottle held a solid lead at that point, but lapped traffic aided Thomas’ charge to close the gap.
On lap 16, Thomas made his move with a slider in turn four, but Cottle crossed back over and regained the top spot and held it the remainder of the race for the victory. Stanbrough held down the third spot after starting ninth as Jordan Kinser recorded a fourth-place finish ahead of Shane Cockrum.
In the UMP Modified A-main, Shuman took over the lead on lap five and held off Roger Mills over the middle portion of the feature. The pair ran side-by-side ahead of Roy Bruce Jr. with Jake and Jay Humphrey battling wheel-to-wheel for several laps for the third spot.
Mills’ challenge for the top spot was derailed by a spin on lap 12 that sent him to the back. He would eventually make his way back to ninth at the checkered flag.
Up front, Shuman was able to hold off a challenge over the final eight laps from Roy Bruce as Jay Humphrey came home third ahead of Travis Shoulders and Tyler Loughmiller.
In the UMP Super Stock feature, defending track champion Josh Boller started 2016 the same way he started and ended last season, with a victory.
Boller had Steve Peeden right on his bumper for the entire race, but held him off to gain the win.
Peeden tried several different racing lines and showed his nose underneath to Boller’s door panel in pursuit of the win. Several different re-starts gave Peeden a chance, but Boller remained steadfast in his pursuit of the victory and picked up win number one of the season.
Peeden came home second ahead of Josh McDaniel, Jonathon Newgent and Larry Raines.
In the first bomber feature of the night, Smith and Cody Wright raced door-to-door over the final eight laps. Smith edged into the lead in lapped traffic over the final two laps and won the charge to the checkered flag. Jordan Almanza placed third ahead of James Walters and Travis Heramb.
In the final feature of the night, Fields started fourth and was able to quickly challenge the leader and take over the top spot and pick up his first win. Harvey Whitaker was second with Cole Parker and Matthew Grimes in the top-four.
This weekend will feature the Bomber Spring Fling with $500 going to the feature winner and $50 to start. Sprints, modifieds and super stocks are also on the card.
Lincoln Park Speedway
Sprint car feature
1. Shane Cottle, 2. Kevin Thomas Jr., 3. Jon Stanbrough, 4. Jordan Kinser, 5. Shane Cockrum, 6. Jeff Bland, 7. Kyle Robbins, 8. Logan Jarrett, 9. Kevin Studley, 10. Cole Ketcham, 11. JJ Hughes, 12. Colton Cottle, 13. Mitch Wissmiller, 14. Ethan Barrow, 15. Brandon Mattox, 16. Tim Creech II, 17. Nate McMillin, 18. Tony Dimattia, 19. Chris Babcock, 20. Tyler Hewitt
B-main winner: Ethan Barrow
Heat winners: Shane Cottle, Jeff Bland, Kevin Studley
UMP Modified feature
1. Randy Shuman, 2. Roy Bruce Jr., 3. Jay Humphrey, 4. Travis Shoulders, 5. Tyler Loughmiller, 6. Cullen Goodman, 7. Kenny Carmichael Sr., 8. Josh McDaniel, 9. Roger Mills, 10. Brent Hudson, 11. Scott Ricketts, 12. Jason Clark, 13. RJ Pruitt, 14. JR Watkins, 15. Sydney Landes, 16. Jake Humphrey, 17. Carlos Bumgardner Sr., 18. Kenny Carmichael Jr., 19. Gary Ricketts, 20. Josh Settles, 21. Michael Fish, 22. Jerry Bland Jr.
Heat winners: Jake Humphrey, Randy Shuman, Roger Mills
UMP Super Stock feature
1. Josh Boller, 2. Steve Peeden, 3. Josh McDaniel, 4. Jonathon Newgent, 5. Larry Raines, 6. Chris Harcourt, 7. Paul Wright, 8. Jack Campbell, 9. Jeff Beggs, 10. D.J. McCullough, 11. Chris Hillman, 12. Doug McCullough, 13. Steve Johnson Jr., 14. Matt Jordan, 15. Hayden Rogers, 16. Scotty Maddie, 17. Michael Clark, 18. Chris Campbell, 19. Kris Starks, 20. Terry Leitzman
B-main winner: Steve Johnson Jr.
Heat winners: Steve Peeden, Josh Boller, Doug McCullough
1. A.J. Smith, 2. Cody Wright, 3. Jordan Almanza, 4. James Walters, 5. Travis Heramb, 6. Scott Crouch, 7. Glenn Ogden, 8. Alex Reid, 9. Mike Swango, 10. Charles Shipley, 11. Larry Hutto, 12. Adam Farr, 13. Kyle Prince, 14. Tom Cox, 15. Josh Litton, 16. Justin Litton, 17. Michael Conner, 18. Tom Courtney, 19. Joe Cash, 20. Megan Cavaness
B-main winner: Mike Swango
Heat winners: Josh Litton, James Walters, Jordan Almanza, Cody Wright
Bomber second feature
1. Zane Fields, 2. Harvey Whitaker, 3. Cole Parker, 4. Matthew Grimes, 5. Justin Bumgardner, 6. Bobby Tarrh Jr., 7. Mark Dickerson, 8. Chad Casassa, 9. Jerry Hutto, 10. David Wallen, 11. Bob Farris, 12. DJ Smiley