By CAREY FOX
Times Sports Editor
PUTNAMVILLE – Chad Boespflug has had quite a summer piloting the famed No. 57 Paul Hazen sprint car and Saturday night’s event at Lincoln Park Speedway
provided the next chapter.
Boespflug blasted to his 21st top-10 finish of 2013 and scored his fourth victory of the season when he made a superb slider stick on the final lap to edge
Shane Cottle at Lincoln Park Speedway for the “Putnamville Clash” victory that garnered the team a $2,000 payday.
It was only fitting that Greencastle was well represented this weekend as local hot shoes Blake Cross and Doug McCullough visited victory lane as well. Cross
captured his very first checkered flag when he took the lead early in his bomber feature and held off the rest of the field down the stretch. McCullough did
double-duty in the UMP Super Stock class as well as the bomber class. For the second time this season he pulled off the double dip in winning both features
for the extra payday.
Jesse Cramer held off Paul Bumgardner after a re-start with three laps remaining to take the UMP Modified feature in his Economy Fireplace, RRX Construction,
Diamond Racecars, VanHorn Graphics, Davis Automotive No.12.
Cramer started on the front row and built a big lead early on as the rest of the field gave chase. Eric Varner was the early challenger with Brian Hayden and
Bumgardner fighting for the right to challenge for the top spot. However, Bumgardner found a clear lane through lapped traffic to gain the second spot. Cramer
was on a rail out front of the field as a caution flew in the final circuits to re-set the field.
When the field went green, Cramer got a good start ahead of Bumgardner and Hayden to pick up the victory. Eric Varner placed fourth and Randy Shuman took fifth.
In the 26th running of the Putnamville Clash, a first lap pileup took out a portion of the sprint car field to start the A-main, but there wasn’t much that could
stand in the way of Boespflug, who was a rocket from the start. Even lapped traffic, which came into play quickly, wasn’t much of a factor. He managed the back
markers with the skill of an artist with the lead foot of the fearless. Blasting through a couple of three-wide situations down the stretch ahead of Cottle and
Dave Darland, Boespflug looked as if he would walk away from the field. However, with five circuits standing between him and a big payday, a caution came out and
gave Cottle another crack at the win. Cottle made the most of his shot as he pulled off a perfect slide job in turn four for the lead on the restart and held that
spot to the white flag.
On that final lap, Boespflug looked for his shot and with less than 75 yards remaining, he ripped off a perfect slide job that stuck to get past Cottle for the
“Putnamville Clash” championship in the Physical Medical Consultants, Bud’s Auto Salvage, K&N Filters, Butlerbuilt Seats, Hinchman Racing Uniforms sponsored machine.
Darland was third with Brady Short placing fourth and Wes McIntyre finishing in the fifth position.
In the UMP Super Stock feature, CJ Bryan roared out to the early lead as Mike Staggs and McCullough were in tow. Kenny Carmichael Jr. and Cullen Goodman were battling
door-to-door for the fourth spot.
Lapped traffic played a major role down the stretch as the leaders went three-wide looking for a clear lane with Carmichael snagging the lead ahead of McCullough and
Bryan. The group continued to fight for the top spot to the final lap when McCullough nosed ahead off the final corners and won a drag race to the checkered flag ahead
of Carmichael and Goodman. Bryan took fourth ahead of Josh McDaniel.
McCullough climbed from his car following the feature and hopped into his Gardens of Growth, Shaffer’s Collision, Hank’s Briskets sponsored No. 19 bomber where he started
Josh Foxworthy lead the first half of the A-main as McCullough methodically worked his way forward before grabbing the lead in lapped traffic. From there, McCullough
maintained his lead the rest of the way as Foxworthy took second ahead of Mike Fisher Jr.., David Wallen and Justin Minardo.
The final feature of the evening saw Jeff Beggs and Tim Wright start out front and pace the first half of the A-main before Beggs began to slip back into the field.
Wright also had problems, breaking a driveline and Cross was right there to assume the lead and pull away from the rest of the field. Damon Harrell battled forward
to score the runner-up spot ahead of Ron Smith, Mark Dickerson and Jerry Hutto.
Cross’ victory came in the Barnbuilt Race Cars, Don’s Garage, Deer Creek Processing, Extreme Concrete Cutting, Kids at Play Daycare, Loud Pedal Performance, Specialty
Grafix sponsored No. 44.
Saturday’s next event will feature a regular show of sprint cars, UMP Modifieds and Super Stocks as well as bombers.
Lincoln Park Speedway
Sprint car feature (Putnamville Clash)
1. Chad Boespflug, 2. Shane Cottle, 3. Dave Darland, 4. Brady Short, 5. Wes McIntyre, 6. Brent Beauchamp, 7. Ryan Pace, 8. Seth Parker, 9. Blake Fitzpatrick,
10. Bradley Sterrett, 11. Brian Karraker, 12. Brian Hayden, 13. Jimmy Romig, 14. Jon Stanbrough, 15. Jeff Bland Jr., 16. John Nicosan, 17. Brandon Mattox, 18. Levi Shields,
19. Max McGhee, 20. Keaton Dobbs
UMP Modified feature
1. Jesse Cramer, 2. Paul Bumgardner, 3. Brian Hayden, 4. Eric Varner, 5. Randy Shuman, 6. Bradley Sterrett, 7. Dan Lewellen, 8. Wes McClara, 9. Carlos Bumgardner Sr.,
10. Scott Ricketts, 11. Kevin Gummere, 12. Duane Lee, 13. Roger Mills, 14. Kenny Carmichael Jr., 15. Jacob Houts, 16. Casey Davis, 17. Elijah Heminger, 18. Matthew Freeman,
19. Kenny Carmichael Sr., 20. Gary Ricketts
B-main winner: Kenny Carmichael Jr.
UMP Super Stock feature
1. Doug McCullough, 2. Kenny Carmichael Jr., 3. Cullen Goodman, 4. C.J. Bryan, 5. Josh McDaniel, 6. Travis Heramb, 7. Michael Fish, 8. JR Watkins, 9. Tyler Loughmiller,
10. Steve Smiley, 11. Gene Barnett, 12. Chris Campbell, 13. Jacob Wright, 14. Mike Staggs, 15. Jason Massie, 16. Josh Fagg, 17. Sample Bob, 18. David Daniels, 19. Josh Boller,
20. Kenny Carmichael Sr.
B-main winner: Michael Fish
Bomber feature one
1. Doug McCullough, 2. Josh Foxworthy, 3. Mike Fisher Jr., 4. David Wallen, 5. Justin Minardo, 6. Bob Farris, 7. Jordan Almanza, 8. Kyle Krupa, 9. Cody Wright,
10. Michael Thompson, 11. Jack Campbell, 12. DJ Smiley, 13. Bobby Tarrh, 14. Jack Hatton, 15. Josh Settles
Bomber feature two
1. Blake Cross, 2. Damon Harrell, 3. Ron Smith, 4. Mark Dickerson, 5. Jerry Hutto, 6. Lenny Krupa III, 7. Brad Neese, 8. Cory Williamson, 9. Jeff Beggs, 10. Megan Cavaness,
11. Carlos Bumgardner Sr., 12. Tim Wright, 13. Fred Grayless, 14. Harry Shepherd
3rd Annual Slick Griffin Memorial
Super Stocks $1000 to Win, $100 to Start
Modifieds, Super Stocks, Bombers
General Admission $15.00
Pit Passes $30.00
Kids 10 and Under Always FREE At LPS!
Pit Gates Open at 3PM
Main Gates Open at 4:30PM
Hot Laps at 6PM and
Racing Starts at 7PM
USAC Sprints - Indiana Sprint Week
USAC Sprints and Modifieds
Pre-Race Activities in the Campground Area
Little Feet Bicycle Challenge #2 and Super Stock Mid-Season Championship Race - MMSA Sprints
Click For Details
MMSA Sprints, Modifieds, Super Stocks, Bombers
28th Annual Putnamville Clash
Sprints $2800 to Win
Sprints, Modifieds, Super Stocks, Bombers