By CAREY FOX
Times Sports Editor
PUTNAMVILLE — Dan Lewellen had been so close, so many times in finally getting his first elusive
UMP Modified feature win. Bad luck and mechanical problems always seemed to rear their ugly head
at the most inopportune times.
However, on Saturday night, all of that was forgotten as the Clayton, Ind. race car driver by night,
school teacher by day, pulled away over the final 10 laps to score that victory in the 3D Carpentry,
DL Construction, VanHorn Graphics, No. 5L.
An overjoyed Lewellen got to celebrate in victory lane with both of his parents, which made it all
the more special with Fathers Day coming over the weekend.
While Lewellen was grabbing his first career win, Bedford’s Brady Short managed lapped traffic masterfully
to claim his seventh sprint car feature of the 2014 season in the No. 11p Pottorff/Short Racing machine.
Short managed to work both high and low on the track to maintain a lead despite the lappers over the last
10 laps of the 25-lap A-main for the sprint cars. Short pulled out to a solid win ahead of Carson Short
and Chase Briscoe.
The UMP Super Stock feature went to Ralph Groomer, who snared the win after battling door-to-door with Doug
McCullough before he was sidelined with five laps in the midseason feature. Josh Boller would advance into
the second spot and take the checkered flag ahead of Cullen Goodman.
In the bomber feature, two days after flipping his UMP Modified, a very sore Carlos Bumgardner Sr. took the
lead on lap 11 and took the victory in front of Tim Wright and Jordan Almanza.
For Lewellen, the evening started out looking like another difficult night was on tap as he drew to the back
of his heat race. However, Lewellen charged to the front to win his heat to set himself on the outside of Jimmy
Hayden to start the A-main ahead of Derek Groomer and Chad Combs.
Once the field went green, Lewellen shot to the front and never looked back, leading wire-to-wire as Hayden
followed him several car lengths behind. Combs and Kenny Carmichael Jr. fought for third early on before Kenny
Carmichael Sr. advanced into the fray.
With 10 laps remaining, Carmichael Jr. and Hayden were side-by-side for the second spot with Combs trailing in
third. However, Carmichael Sr. chased down the lead pack and took fifth ahead of his son. Groomer continued to
move forward and eventually solidified the third position with Combs in fourth-place. Blake Davis was seventh,
Gary Hayden, Tyler Loughmiller and Randy Milburn wrapped the top-10.
The sprint car field took the green flag with Max McGhee on the pole alongside Jeff Bland Jr., who was seeking
a fifth feature win.
However, Bland got sideways on the opening lap in turn two and collected Keaton Dobbs, who go upside down, but
was uninjured. Both drivers were forced to the pits and would not return.
Brady Short took that opportunity and ran away with it as he built a solid lead in front of Mike Gass and Max
McGhee with Carson Short making up ground. Behind that group, Chase Briscoe was moving forward from his 11th-place
Lapped traffic came into play by the midway point and Carson Short had taken over second and was attempting to
make up ground on the cushion. Briscoe had advanced to third with five laps remaining and would finish there ahead
of McGhee and Gass.
In the UMP Super Stock Midseason feature, McCullough looked to have the field wired as Scott Carrington and Groomer
were fighting for second ahead of Steve Peeden and Boller.
McCullough built a sizable lead before a pair of late cautions bunched the field up and gave Groomer the chance
he needed on a re-start with seven laps remaining. Groomer took the lead off the start after the pair were door-to-door
for a couple of laps. McCullough would come to a stop in turn four with mechanical problems leaving Groomer to hold off
Boller over the last few circuits.
Lincoln Park Speedway
Sprint car feature
1. Brady Short, 2. Carson Short, 3. Chase Briscoe, 4. Max McGhee, 5. Mike Gass, 6. Kris Deckard, 7. Jordan Kinser,
8. Travis Berryhill, 9. Jason Robbins, 10. Lee Dakus, 11. Ethan Fleetwood, 12. Shelby VanGilder, 13. Troy Link,
14. Kent Christian, 15. Matt Thompson, 16. Lukas Smith, 17. Keaton Dobbs, 18. Jeff Bland Jr., 19. Casey Shuman
Heat winners: C. Short, Berryhill, B. Short
UMP Modified feature
1. Dan Lewellen, 2. Jimmy Hayden, 3. Derek Groomer, 4. Chad Combs, 5. Kenny Carmichael Sr., 6. Kenny Carmichael Jr.
7. Blake Davis, 8. Gary Hayden, 9. Tyler Loughmiller, 10. Randy Milburn, 11. Scott Ricketts, 12. Wes McClara,
13. Jordan Weaver, 14. Josh McDaniel, 15. Jason Thomas, 16. Gary Ricketts, 17. Brent Hudson, 18. Jake Humphrey,
19. Randy Shuman, 20. Harold Grayless, 21. Harry Shepherd
Heat winners: Combs, Groomer, Lewellen
UMP Super Stock feature
1. Ralph Groomer, 2. Josh Boller, 3. Cullen Goodman, 4. Steve Sutliff, 5. Travis Heramb, 6. JR Watkins, 7. William Harris,
8. Doug McCullough, 9. Scott Carrington, 10. Steve Peeden, 11. Kenny Carmichael Sr., 12. Chris Campbell, 13. Josh McDaniel,
14. Kenny Fields, 15. Cullen Sandusky
Heat winners: Groomer, McCullough
1. Carlos Bumgardner Sr., 2. Tim Wright, 3. Jordan Almanza, 4. James Walters, 5. Ron Smith, 6. Eric Miller, 7. Mark Dickerson,
8. Michael Williams, 9. Lenny Krupa III, 10. Kyle Krupa, 11. Bob Farris, 12. Megan Cavaness, 13. RJ Pruitt, 14. Donald Smiley,
15. Cody Wright, 16. Dustin Colvin, 17. Chucky Walden, 18. Michael Thompson, 19. Kevin Kemp, 20. Fred Grayless, 21. David Wallen,
22. Jack Campbell, 23. Jerry Hutto, 24. David Bumgardner
Heat winners: Almanza, Walters, Bumgardner
LPS Road Trip!
LPS Annual Fireworks Spectacular|
by Circle City Pyrotechnics
A beautiful evening to come out and enjoy some dirt track action and the best fireworks around!
Sprints, Modifieds, Super Stocks, Bombers
General Admission $18.00
Pit Passes $30.00
Kids 10 and Under Always FREE At LPS!
Pit Gates Open at 3PM
Main Gates Open at 4:30PM
Hot Laps at 6PM and
Racing Starts at 7PM
2nd Annual Bill Gardner Sprintacular - Day 1
USAC Sprints, Modifieds, Super Stocks,Bombers
2nd Annual Bill Gardner Sprintacular - Day 2
MSCS Sprints - 3K to Win, Modifieds, Super Stocks,Bombers
4th Annual Slick Griffin Memorial
Super Stocks $1000 to Win, $100 to Start
Super Stock Mid Season Championship Race