By CAREY FOX
Times Sports Editor
PUTNAMVILLE — Brady Short and Carlos Bumgardner Sr. celebrated their birthdays in victory lane
at Lincoln Park Speedway on Saturday night, but Jake Humphrey’s part might have trumped both of
them as the Bloomington native picked up his first career UMP Modified feature win.
Short followed up a Midwest Sprint Car Series win Aug. 2 at Haubstadt with another series victory
this weekend. The Columbus, Ind. resident dominated early and then held off a charge over the final
few laps from Robert Ballou and Chad Boesflug to take the $3,000 winner’s share.
A week after Humphrey ran well, threatened the leader over much of the race before slipping back a
couple of spots over the final couple circuits, Humphrey got stronger as the race went on to get
his first victory. Humphrey crossed the finish line ahead of Kenny Carmichael Sr., who duked it out
with Roy Bruce Jr. over the first half of the A-main.
Tyler Cain passed Aaron Fields while taking the white flag and then outraced him to the finish line
to earn another UMP Super Stock victory. In the bomber features, Tim Wright held off C.J. Bryan and
David Wallen for the win in the first A-main and Bumgardner won his ninth feature of the season to
cap the evening.
Short had a unique challenge in the sprint car feature as his Indiana Stone Works No. 11p was down
a cylinder before the race even began. The crew took one of the spark plugs out before pushing off
for the feature, but it didn’t matter.
Short took the green flag alongside Dave Darland with Kevin Thomas Jr. and Shane Cottle a row behind
them. Short fended off Darland early and began to open up a solid gap just five laps into the race.
Meanwhile, Thomas and Boesplug were side-by-side with Cottle and CJ Leary behind them.
Just 11 laps in, Short was already into lapped traffic as Boesplug tried to reel him in ahead of
Darland, Thomas and Ballou. Kyle Cummins started 16th, but was becoming a factor by the halfway
By lap 18, Boespflug had made up some ground in lapped traffic, but several laps later, Short broke
free and extended his lead once again. Ballou was a rocket over the final 15 laps, advancing all the
way to second after making a slider stick in turn three with Boesfplug.
Ballou would come home second ahead of Boesfplug, Darland, Thomas, Cottle, Brent Beauchamp, Casey
Shuman, Max McGhee and Cummins.
Carmichael and Bruce put on the early show in the UMP Modified feature with some door-to-door racing.
However, following a re-start at the halfway point, Humphrey blasted forward from the sixth spot into
a challenge for the lead.
Humphrey moved alongside Carmichael as Bruce slipped back to the bottom as Wes McClara fought for third
ahead of Roger Mills.
With five laps left, Humphrey grabbed the lead and was able to work the high side to pick up the victory
ahead of Carmichael, Bruce, Carmichael Jr. and McClara.
Tyler Cain added his 16th super stock win of the season, which in turn helped him extend his UMP national
points lead over second-place Aaron Fields. Ironically, Fields led most of the race, fighting off Steve
Peeden early before Cain got by him on the final lap at LPS. Peeden would eventually suffer a flat tire
and retire to the pits setting up Cain for his last lap pass as Scott Carrington locked up third-place
followed by Doug McCullough and Josh McDaniel.
In the final two features of the evening, Wright broke free of a three-way fight for the lead with Bob Farris
and Blake Cross. John Grenier and Cross made contact on lap eight, which sidelined Grenier and sent Cross to
the pits with a flat tire.
Once the field took the green once again, Wright got by Farris and then held off Bryan and Farris as Wallen
advanced to third-place at the finish ahead of Kemp and Ron Smith.
In the second feature, early leaders A.J. Smith and Tyler Neal made contact and went to the tail as Bumgardner
inherited a lead he wouldn’t relinquish. James Walters came home with a solid second-place run ahead of Jordan
Almanza, Neal and Cody Wright.
This weekend will feature the make-up date for the 27th running of t he Putnamville Clash.
Lincoln Park Speedway
Midwest Sprint Car Series feature
1. Brady Short, 2. Robert Ballou, 3. Chad Boespflug, 4. Dave Darland, 5. Kevin Thomas Jr., 6. Shane Cottle,
7. Brent Beauchamp, 8. Casey Shuman, 9. Max McGhee, 10. Kyle Cummins, 11. CJ Leary, 12. Daron Clayton, 13. A.J. Hopkins,
14. Brandon Mattox, 15. Carson Short, 16. Jeff Bland Jr., 17. Mike Terry, 18. Dalton Gabbard, 19. Joe Liguori,
20. Ethan Fleetwood, 21 Travis Welpott
UMP Modified feature
1. Jake Humphrey, 2. Kenny Carmichael Sr., 3. Roy Bruce Jr., 4. Kenny Carmichael Jr., 5. Wes McClara, 6. Roger Mills,
7. Gary Ricketts, 8. Brent Hudson, 9. Elijah Heminger, 10. Matthew Smith, 11. Doug Arnold, 12. Tom Houk, 13. Gary Hayden,
14. Craig Conyer, 15. Jeff Deckard, 16. Donald Kiger, 17. Damon Harrell, 18. Dan Lewellen
UMP Super Stock feature
1. Tyler Cain, 2. Aaron Fields, 3. Scott Carrington, 4. Doug McCullough, 5. Josh McDaniel, 6. Paul Wright, 7. Josh Boller,
8. Jonathan Newgent, 9. Travis Heramb, 10. Steve Sutliff, 11. JR Watkins, 12. David Daniels, 13. Dennis Morgan, 14. Steve Peeden,
15. Kenny Carmichael Jr., 16. Jeremy Stierwalt, 17. Kenny Fields, 18. Chris Campbell, 19. Josh Fagg, 20. Kenny Carmichael Sr.,
21. James Pfeiffer Sr.
Bomber feature 1
1. Tim Wright, 2. C.J. Bryan, 3. David Wallen, 4. Kevin Kemp, 5. Ron Smith, 6. Bob Farris, 7. Mark Dickerson, 8. Michael Thompson,
9. Megan Cavaness, 10. Tom Plemons, 11. Tom Courtney, 12. Chucky Walden, 13. Blake Cross, 14. John Grenier Jr., 15. Jerry Hutto,
16. RJ Pruitt, 17. Jeff Beggs, 18. Aaron Acres
Bomber feature 2
1. Carlos Bumgardner Sr., 2. James Walters, 3. Jordan Almanza, 4. Tyler Neal, 5. Cody Wright, 6. Kyle Krupa, 7. Donald Smiley,
8. Josh Presley, 9. A.J. Smith, 10. Eric Miller, 11. Justin Massie, 12. Raymond Funkhouser Jr., 13. Lenny Krupa III, 14. Jack Campbell,
15. Michael Williams, 16. Curtis Fouts, 17. Casey Davis
Congratulations to our 2016 Points Champions!
Pos Driver Car # Points
1 Shane Cockrum 24P 439
2 Kevin Thomas JR 1,4J 396
3 Nate McMillin 24 293
4 Jeff Bland 38,17GP 284
5 JJ Hughes 76J 274
6 Brady Short 11P 240
7 Tim Creech II 2C 229
8 Brandon Mattox 04,28 194
9 Shelby VanGilder 22V 182
10 AJ Hopkins 14H,42G 159
Pos Driver Car # Points
1 Kenny Carmichael Sr 92 663
2 Kenny Carmichael Jr 92C 611
3 Travis Shoulders 166 610
4 Randy Shuman 62 528
5 Jay Humphrey Jr 661 489
6 Derek Groomer D48 475
7 Brent Hudson 2B 429
8 Josh Settles 12H 424
9 Tyler Loughmiller 99T 410
10 Josh McDaniel 11M 404
Super Stocks 16
Pos Driver Car # Points
1 Josh Boller 05B 871
2 Steve Peeden P3 768
3 Jonathon Newgent 21N 757
4 Doug McCullough 19M 734
5 Larry Raines 4R 656
6 Paul Wright 42 588
7 Wes McClara 45M 580
8 Michael Clark 8 572
9 Jack Campbell 3,40C 571
10 Scotty Massie 17 490
Pos Driver Car # Points
1 Jordan Almanza 14J 937
2 James Walters 34W,83P 832
3 Cody Wright 22W 825
4 David Wallen 59 822
5 Scott Crouch 55S 775
6 Curt Leonard 83 760
7 Megan Cavaness 5C 687
8 Kyle Krupa 46K 686
9 Ryan Freeland 72 639
10 Lenny Krupa III 46 602